Homemade whipped cream recipe: It is a classic accompaniment that pairs perfectly with almost any dessert. But how do you make whipped cream that won’t melt? It is pretty simple to stabilize whipped cream and anyone can make this!
TIPS FOR MAKING WHIPPED CREAM THAT WON’T MELT
Use a hand mixer with beaters or a standing kitchen mixer with a whisk attachment. Place the bowl you will use in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will make sure the cream stays nice and cold when being whipped
Whip the cream to stiff peaks. This means when you lift the whisk attachment, or beater, the cream stays at a very “stiff peak” and does not deflate. THEN, add your sugar and melted gelatin.
Add the gelatin slowly when adding it to the whipping cream.
Store it in an airtight container that “snaps,” in the fridge. Best to eat it within 3 days.
This recipe makes about 2 3/4 – 3 cups whipped cream.
QUESTIONS ABOUT MAKING WHIPPED CREAM
Simply, it adds staying power! This is helpful in warm and hot weather days. This may seem odd if you never used gelatin. But the gelatin acts like a stabilizer in this recipe.
There are two types of gelatin on the market. One is powdered, which is what is called for in this recipe. Second is called sheet gelatin, which is NOT used in this recipe.
For powdered gelatin, I use Knox brand that comes in packets.
How do you use and melt the gelatin?
In a small bowl, place 2 tsp cold water. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp powdered gelatin over it. Just like how your would dust sprinkles on top of a cupcake. Let sit for 5 minutes. This is called “blooming.” It will be semi-solid after 5 minutes.
Place in a microwave and cook for 10 seconds or until melted. Whisk. Let sit on the kitchen counter for 2-3 minutes to slightly cool down.
How long will this whipped cream last?
If it’s in a container in the fridge or on top of a pie, the whipped cream will last 3 days. After 3 days, it will start to slowly deflate.
While you can freeze whipped cream, I recommend not to. Just put it in the fridge and eat it!
Why make this whipped cream versus a recipe without gelatin?
Two reasons: You want to prep ahead. Making a dessert with whipped cream and want to make it the day before? Make this whipped cream and put it in the fridge.
You want to pipe the whipped cream: You are decorating a cake, pie, or cupcake and want to use a pastry bag filled with it. This will make sure your decoration will last and stay beautiful.
Want to know how to feel a pastry bag without making a mess? Check out my blog post here.
- Standing mixer with whisk attachment or hand held mixer with beaters
- Liquid measuring cup and teaspoon
- Small bowl for gelatin
- Whisk and spatula
- Container: if you are storing the whipped cream for later
Whipped Cream Recipe: That Won’t MeltCourse: Frosting and Icing RecipesCuisine: American
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons white sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extra
1/2 teaspoon powdered gelatin
2 teaspoon cold water
- Place the bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 15 minutes
- Pour the cream in the bowl. Place on standing kitchen mixer and whisk. Whip for 5-6 minutes, or until foam.
- Stop, Add 3 tablespoon white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Continue to whip and medium speed until medium peaks form, about 5-6 minutes. Stop
- Pour 2 teaspoon cold water in a bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon gelatin over it. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Microwave the gelatin for 10 seconds. Let sit on kitchen counter for 2-3 minutes.
- Start the mixer at low speed. Pour melted gelatin slowly. Whip 1-2 minutes.
- Use! Or store in a container and keep it in the fridge.