The easiest, moistest, perfect carrot cake cupcakes recipe with a light cream cheese frosting!
These super moist carrot cake cupcakes are the balance of carrot, cake, and cream cheese frosting. The cake batter is very easy to make and is lightly seasoned with ground cinnamon. Plus, this perfect carrot cake cupcake recipe can be adjusted to your carrot cake liking: add walnuts! add raisins! add pineapple.
Make the cupcakes ahead of time, freeze, and make the frosting day of. This is great for time-crunched and busy bakers.
QUESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES
When do I added my nuts if I want to add nuts?
At the very end! When you add in the shredded carrots. Be sure to chop the nuts, too, into bite size pieces
Can I make a round cake?
Yes! This will make approx. 1- 9 inch / 8 inch round cake, which will yield about 2 medium layers.
How do you shred carrots and remove the moisture?
Shred carrots either: on a box cheese grater or food processor. After shredding them, place them in a paper towel lined mixing bowl. Let them sit for 5 minutes. Top with more paper towels, gather the carrots in your hands and squeeze away. Water should drop into the bowl. Repeat this 3x.
Key Tips on Making Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Don’t over mix. Once you add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix until just combine and you do not see any dry patches
Fill the cupcake liners 3/4. Don’t over fill or else you will have giant cupcakes (which is not a bad thing…) exploding from the wrapper
Cool 110% before frosting. This will take, at least, 1 1/2-2 hours at room temperature.
More of a chocolate cake fan? Make my chocolate cupcakes!
More a classic white cake fan? Make my classic white cake!
The Perfect Carrot Cake Cupcakes: With Cream Cheese FrostingCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
5.3 oz plain, full fat yogurt (equals 1 – individual portion)
1/2 cup veg oil (or another neutral oil)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots (approx. 3 medium size carrots), with the excess water squeezed out (see above)
- Cream cheese frosting
8 oz full fat cream cheese, soften
1/4 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soften
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or silicone muffin liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: 4 eggs, 5.3 oz plain yogurt, 1/2 cup veg oil, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup white sugar. Mix with a whisk until just combined. Set aside.
- Sift dry ingredients together: 2 cups all purpose flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir with a spatula until just combined.
- Add shredded carrots. Stir until just combined. If you want to add nuts, raisins, or pineapple, add it now.
- Using an ice cream or cookie scoop, fill the muffin tins 3/4 way up.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- Cream cheese frosting:
- In a standing kitchen mixer bowl, add: 8 oz soften cream cheese, 1/4 cup unsalted soften butter and 2 cups sifted powder.
- Tip: sift the powdered sugar directly into the mixing bowl
- Mix on low speed, with a paddle attachment, for 5 -8 minutes. Stop and scrape 2x.
- Frost. Either using a tip (I use Wilton #828 tip) or spatula.
- Cupcakes can be made ahead and frozen in zip lock bags. Bring out to room temp before frosting (1 hour).