Korean Fresh Cream Cake or 생크림 케이크 recipe: If you like light and spongy cake, then this cake recipe is for you. It’s made with chiffon cake, a cream filling, and Chantilly cream exterior. Topped with strawberries, this is the perfect summer time cake. Never tried it? You’re going to LOVE it!
WHAT IS KOREAN FRESH CREAM CAKE?
It is an Asian-style cake that is perfect for people who don’t like overly sweet desserts. Or, they want a simple cake to make. No buttercream is needed. Simply, it is frosted with whipped cream and filled with a cream.
Minimalist Korean Fresh Cream cakes are becoming very trendy. One reason is the rise in K-Dramas and Kpop. Plus, they are pretty adorable to look at it and take little effort in decorating.
Asian cream cakes are nothing new and gaining mainstream attention in the United States. Want to know more, check out this article from Eater.
COMPONENTS TO MAKE KOREAN CREAM CAKE
Like any cake, you gotta have pieces, or components, to it. This cake has four components:
- One 8-inch Chiffon Cake
- 1x Recipe: Yogurt Chantilly Cream
- 1x Recipe: Whipped Cream
- Fresh strawberries for decoration
TOOLS TO MAKE KOREAN CREAM CAKE
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Rubber spatula to mix and off set spatula to decorate
- Cutting board and knife
- Cake board (to place the cake on)
- Cake turn table (optional). If you don’t have one, you can use a cutting board. Here is a bunch of turn tables if you want to browse ’em.
QUESTIONS ON KOREAN FRESH CREAM CAKE
What component should I make first?
Make the chiffon cake first. You want it completely cool before you fill and decorate it. It is OK to bake the cake and freeze it for later.
Second, make the yogurt chantilly cream. Set this aside and in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble.
Lastly, make the whipped cream. After you have all the component ready, you can start assembling.
How do you assemble the cake? I am a beginner.
Place the cake on a cutting board. Trim the very top, so it is even and flat. Cut the cake into three layers, so 2 slices. If you wish, you can just cut it in half so you have two layers.
Place one layer on a 9 inch – 10 inch cake board. Don’t have one? You can make one, place it on a cutting board, or buy ’em on Amazon.
Using a spatula, spread one layer on the bottom. Top with another cake layer. Spread another layer of filling. Top with final cake layer.
Using a off-set spatula, spread the whipped cream on the outside and top. If this is your first time, it won’t be perfect. But don’t worry! Cake decorating is a skill that takes time to master.
Confused again? Watch this video from Wilton.
How do I store the cake?
Place the cake in an air tight container, in the fridge. Don’t leave it out on the kitchen counter for over 30 minutes. That means take it out of the fridge when you’re ready to eat it. Serve. Place it immediately back in the fridge.
There are LOTS of cake containers out there, browse and find which one fits your baking lifestyle. If you don’t bake a lot, buying a single disposable container will work.
If you bake A LOT and need an all purpose container for cakes and cupcakes, I use this Wilton rectangle container. It does fit in the fridge with a little adjusting of the shelves. Plus it is great for traveling with goodies!
PLANNING THE CAKE
If you never made a homemade cake with homemade filling, it can be intimidating. Don’t worry! All it takes is a little scheduling.
Below is how I created the Korean Fresh Cream Cake:
- Thursday: I made and baked the 8 inch chiffon cake. I cooled it overnight.
- Friday: Cut the cake into 3 layers. Set aside. I store the cake in an airtight cake container. If you do not have one, you can always wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Friday: Make the yogurt chantilly cream. Put in container and store overnight in the fridge.
- Saturday: Make the stabilized whipped cream. Set aside. Now you’re ready to decorate.
- If you have a cake turn table, use it! Don’t have one? You can build your cake on a cutting board. Place your cake board on the cake turn table or cutting board. Don’t have a cake board? Make your own, read here.
- Place one layer of cake –> chantilly cream layer on top. Do this 2x times.
- Now, cover the cake with whipped cream with an offset spatula.
- Wash and cut the strawberries or leave ’em whole. Place them on top of the cake.
- Keep the cake in the fridge until ready to eat and enjoy!
Korean Fresh Cream Cake | Just like in K DramasCourse: DessertCuisine: Korean, AmericanDifficulty: Medium
1 – 8 inch chiffon cake
1x Recipe: Whipped Cream
1x Recipe: Chantilly Cream
1 pint of strawberries, washed and cut
- Make the chiffon cake and let cool. Make the chantilly cream and set overnight in the fridge. Do this the day before assembling the cake.
- The next day: Cut the cake into 3 layers. Set aside. Make the whipped cream.
- Place one cake layer on a cake turn table (or cutting board). Add one layer of frosting and spread. Do this 2x.
- Frost the outside with the whipped cream. Use an offset spatula
- Wash and cut strawberries. Place on top of cake.