Kimchi. Biscuits. Kimchi biscuits! A classic buttermilk biscuit recipe with the sourness of chopped kimchi. This savory biscuit recipe is perfect when you something different. Make this easy recipe for a side dish, breakfast, or afternoon snack.
QUESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE KIMCHI BISCUITS
What is kimchi?
Kimchi is a traditional Korean food. It is salted and fermented vegetables with spices. Most popular, you will see cabbage and radish kimchi. I used Choi’s nappa cabbage kimchi, from Portland, OR. You can find kimchi at most grocery stores.
How did you chop the kimchi?
I used scissors. Feel free to use a chef’s knife. Be cautious, your cutting board will stain. I used a plastic one that I reserved for kimchi only.
It says buttermilk. What if I don’t have it?
Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar to 1 cup milk and let sit at room temp for 15 minutes.
When do you add the kimchi?
Add it after you cut in the butter. Stir with your hands or a spatula to make sure the kimchi is uniform
Want to make a classic buttermilk biscuit recipe instead?
Make mine, recipe here!
STEPS IN MAKING KIMCHI BISCUITS
Cut kimchi into small pieces. Set aside. I used scissors, feel free to use a knife.
Sift all the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl.
Cut the butter into squares. Add to dry ingredients. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until small pieces form.
Add kimchi to the bowl.
Mix the kimchi in.
Add the buttermilk.
Mix in the buttermilk with a bowl scraper AKA rectangle spatula. Don’t have one? That is OK! Use a regular spatula.
Mix it until a dough forms. Pat into a square. It doesn’t have to be perfect!
Mix 1 egg and 1 tablespoon buttermilk (or water). Brush over dough. Cut into 9 square, 3 x 3.
Place on a parchment-lined cookie tray. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees F. Cook and enjoy!
Kimchi Biscuits | Recipes with PhotosCourse: SidesDifficulty: Easy
1 cup kimchi, chopped
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cubed, cold
1 cup buttermilk
- Cut 1 cup kimchi into bite size pieces and set aside. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, sift together: 3 cups all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
- Cut 1 1/2 sticks of butter into cubes. Add to dry ingredient and rub in until small lumps forms. Add 1 cup chopped kimchi to bowl
- Add 1 cup buttermilk the dry ingredient and butter mixture
- Fold in carefully until a dough forms. Shape into a square
- Cut 3×3 = 9 squares
- Place onto parchment lined, cookie tray.
- Whisk together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon buttermilk, or water. Brush on top of biscuits
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top and bottom