How to make homemade whipped cream is so so easy! Trust me, making your own whipped cream will be tastier and creamier than that store bought stuff. Plus, this easy recipe takes only 3 easy ingredients. Make this recipe for your next dessert!
QUESTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM
What is whipped cream exactly?
Cream + air + sweeteners (sugar) = whipped cream
Do I need electric beaters or a standing kitchen mixer to make it?
Nope! You can whip it by hand with a hand held whisk. Warning: Your arm will get tired
Can I add other flavorings to it?
Yes! Add different extracts (like almond or rum). Add finely chopped chocolate at the end. Add rainbow sprinkles…because sprinkles!
What is the difference between heavy cream and whipping cream? Which one do I use?
Heavy cream has slightly more fat (36%) versus whipping cream (30%). BOTH will work in this recipe. I find heavy cream lasts longer when whipped. So, when I need to top a cream pie with whipped cream, I use heavy cream versus whipping cream.
Do I really need to chill the mixing bowl when I make whipped cream?
Honestly, no. But, it makes the cream whip…quickier. If you can only chill the bowl for 10 minutes, that will work.
Why powdered sugar? Can I use regular white sugar?
Powdered sugar = white sugar + cornstarch. Cornstarch helps with making whipped cream stabilized. So….those peaks will last longer. Don’t have it? That is OK, white sugar works just fine.
How much does it make?
1 cup heavy cream whipped makes about 1 1/4 cup – 1 1/2 cup. Honestly, this is not enough to frost an entire cream pie. If you need to frost an 8 inch or 9 inch cream pie, double this recipe.
I made whipped cream, now what do I serve it with?
Whipped cream is good with almost everything!!
- Make it for an apple crisp
- Top it over mixed berry filling
- Dip thick chocolate chip cookies in whipped cream (trust me on this!)
- Top it over chocolate cupcakes
MORE TIPS ON WHAT TO DO WITH HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM
Oh did I mention whipped cream is great for making mochas, matcha lattes, and hot chocolate…better
Made too much? Store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Be sure to eat it within 1 day.
This recipe can easily be double for a pie, cookie centers,…or yourself.
Need a vegan whipped cream recipe? Here is a coconut whipped cream recipe from Minimalist Baker.
How to Make Whipped Cream | 3 IngredientsCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chill the standing kitchen mixing bowl in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take it out. Add 1 cup cream to it.
- Attach whisk attachment. Start mixer on slow speed and whip for 3 minutes.
- The cream should increase slightly. Stop. Add 1 tbsp powered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and whipped until soft peaks form. This will take about 4-6 minutes.
- You know it is done when you take the whip attachment off and ‘peaks’ of cream are formed on the tip.
- I used a standing kitchen mixer, like a Kitchen Aid. A bowl with a hand held electric beaters will work, too.
- This recipe makes a not-so-sweet whipped cream. If you like it sweeter, increase sugar to 2 tablespoons.