Homemade Cheesy Bread Recipe: Nothing smells better better than fresh bread from the oven. Making your own cheesy bread is so simple, it compliments any meal. Best of all, this cheesy bread recipe is a great for beginner bakers.
This recipe is unique because it gives the bread a crisp brown crust. This is due to the hot oven and large non-stick skillet. It is not baked in a loaf pan or pizza pan. I used an hard-anodized aluminum pan, which basically means it will heat super even.
This is an overnight dough. That means it is mixed, placed in the fridge over night, then brought to room temp and baked. It takes a little scheduling, but the flavor is worth it.
Craving more savory recipes? Don’t forget to make my chicken pot pies!
QUESTIONS ABOUT MAKING CHEESY BREAD
Why is it mixed and in the fridge overnight?
The longer it sits = the more fermentation. That means more “yeast-ish” flavor. You want the dough in the fridge anywhere from 15-20 hours. After, place it on the kitchen counter for 1-2 hours to bring it to room temp.
Here is a sample schedule I used:
- 6:30 PM: Mixed dough
- 6:45 PM: Placed in fridge
- The next day 11:30 AM: Removed the dough from the fridge and placed it on the counter
- 1:30 PM: Molded dough into pan and bake
What pan do you use?
I used a 12 inch non-stick skillet, Anolon Accolade. Your pan doesn’t have to be exactly 12 inch, but you want something with a large surface area. You can also use a cookie sheet, just shape your dough into a rectangle.
What type of yeast do you use?
I used Red Star Active Dry Yeast. This is great for overnight doughs. I add it with the water and sugar, so it gives it a big head start.
What other toppings can you use?
You can use whatever you have on hand. You can think of this as a thick pizza crust. Tomato sauce! Mushrooms! Olives! Cooked sausage! Dried herbs!
I would avoid any veggies too water-based, like squash.
TOOLS FOR CHEESY BREAD RECIPE
- Kitchen mixer with dough hook
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Bowl scraper or spatula
- Plastic wrap
- Large non-stick skillet
Homemade Cheesy Bread | Easy Recipe for BeginnersCourse: SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 1/3 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1-2 cups shredded cheese, your favorite
salt and pepper
- In a bowl, mix 1 1/3 cup warm water, 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast, and 1 1/2 tablespoon white sugar. Mix with a whisk.
- On top of the liquid, add 3 1/2 cups flour, 2 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 teaspoon fine sea salt.
- Place on standing kitchen mixer with dough hook. Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Place plastic wrap over dough. Place in fridge for 15-20 hours.
- Remove from the fridge. Fold down the dough, it has risen. Place on kitchen counter for 1-2 hours, or until room temp.
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees F. Lightly grease a large non stick skillet with olive oil.
- Mold the dough into the pan.
- Brush the top with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 450 degrees F and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy.
- Use any cheese
- Make sure the salt does not come in contact with the yeast