Galette Crust Recipe: A galette is a free-form half pie and half tart. The crust is made similar to a pie crust. But it shaped by hand, no rolling pin is needed.
This easy galette recipe is made with some almond flour to give a nice flavor and texture. When it is baking, the fat from the almond flour will make the crust golden deliciously!
Just like pies, it can be made sweet or savory. Want to make a pie crust instead? Make an All Butter Pie crust, made 100% all purpose flour.
QUESTIONS ON MAKING A GALETTE CRUST:
Q: Why almond flour?
A: Adds flavor, color, and texture. Plus, people use almond flour when they are watching their simple carb intake
Q: Can I use all all-purpose flour?
A: Yes, go ahead
Q: Can I use a different fat than butter?
A: Not for this recipe, stick with butter. Here is a coconut oil galette crust recipe from Minimalist Baker
Q: Can I freeze this crust?
A: Yes! Be sure to thaw it in the fridge, overnight, before using.
Galette Crust: Made with Almond flour and All-Purpose flourCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
Approx. 1/2 cup cold water
- Sift all purpose flour, salt, and white sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add the almond flour. Whisk until blended
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients with your hands. The butter should end up pea-size amount.
- Slowly, add cold water about 1 tablespoon at a time. Using a bowl scrapper or spatula, stir the water into the dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 2 hours before using.
- Galette dough is made like pie dough. The difference is the shape. Galettes are made shaped by hand, giving it a rustic shape.