Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe: An iconic cookie that EVERYONE enjoys! Chunks and bits of dark chocolate make this recipe easy and delicious for all cookie lovers. The best part? No chilling is required! Yup, just mix the dough, scoop it on cookie sheets, and bake away.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
- Unsalted softened butter: Fat is needed for flavor, color, and tenderizing the gluten strands (AKA flour!)
- White and brown sugar: For sweetness, color, and flavor.
- Eggs: For a binding agent to combine everything other. It also adds moisture and fat to the cookie, making it genuinely golden and delicious
- Vanilla extract: For flavor
- Baking powder: Makes the cookies rise
- Salt: Enhance flavor and adds color
- All-purpose flour: For the structure of the cookie
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: For flavor, of course!
- Dark chocolate chunks: For flavor!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cream the softened butter and sugars in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla together. Add slowly with the mixer on low speed.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together. Add and mix until just blended.
- Hand-stir in chocolate chips and chunks
- Scoop onto cookie trays. Bake and enjoy!
Common Questions about Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
How do I soften butter?
Cut the butter on a cutting board into 1/2 inch cubes. Place on a microwave plate and “cook” for 10-15 seconds. You should be able to put your finger in the butter and an imprint will appear. If your butter is melted, chill it in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
Can you freeze the cookie dough or cookies?
YES! Place the scooped cookie dough in a freezer-safe, zipper plastic bag. The dough will be good for one month…if it lasts that long!
You can even bake ’em and freeze them whole. Hint: I like to do this and crumble the cookies over ice cream.
Why do you “press down” your cookie dough before you bake them?
Appearance. I like a flatter cookie. Slightly pressing down the cookie dough will ensure it is medium size cookie!
What type of chocolate chips do you use?
I like 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. For chocolate fans, it’ll be 40-55% cacao. AND, 1 cup of dark chocolate that is chopped into large chunks. For chocolate fans, it’ll be 70-85% cacao. The mix of sweeter chocolate with dark chocolate is PERFECT!
I use Simple Truth Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and Simple Truth 85% Cacao Dark Chocolate Bar.
Mix the chocolate chips and chunks with a spatula, NOT the mixer. You just want blend it in.
Feel free to use whatever chocolate you have on hand or your favorite! Also, add 1 cup of chopped nuts if you wish.
What scoop do you use?
I use an ice cream scoop because of the size. It is about 1/4 cup.
Don’t have one? Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup, spoon, or just your hands!
I want more cookie recipes!
- Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti
- Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, and Oatmeal Cookie
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookie
- Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie (Chilling Required)
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies | NO CHILLING!Course: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup dark (86%) chocolate, chopped into large chunks
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F. Lined cookie trays with parchment paper
- Add butter, white sugar, and brown sugar in a standing kitchen mixer with the paddle attachment. Cream for 10 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla. Turn the mixer on slow speed and slowly add the egg-vanilla mixture. Stop and scrape down the sides.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the mixer. Mix until just combined.
- Hand mix in the chocolate chips and chocolate chunks. Make sure it is even!
- Scoop the dough onto cookie trays. Slightly press down on the dough to make it circular.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Cool and enjoy!
- Use whatever chocolate you have on hand
- Optional: Add 1 cup chopped walnuts