Classic Apple Crisp Recipe: This dessert combines tart granny smith apple filling and an oat streusel on top. A truly classic dessert that best served with vanilla bean ice cream or whipped cream. Make this apple crisp recipe for any day when you need a classic dessert.
QUESTIONS ON APPLE CRISP FILLING
What is apple crisp?
Apple crisp = apple pie filling + streusel topping.
How is it different versus apple pie or apple cobbler?
Apple pie = apple pie filling, pie crust, and topping (either streusel or pie crust).
Apple cobbler = apple pie filling + biscuit topping
Yup, all three are made with similar components and equally delicious
What kind of dish do I bake it in?
Stonewear is great because it retains heat very well. If you have an extra deep pie dish or casserole type dish, both work perfectly.
Can I substitute granny smith apples?
Well….you can, but don’t. Granny Smith apples have a great tartness that balances the sweetness of the oat streusel.
Do I need to peel apples?
Yes! Peel the apples, core them (so… remove the inedible center with a corer or knife) and slice into even slices. Make the slices about 1/4 inch thick.
How do I zest the lemon?
A microplane is a handheld zester that zests the citrus very finely. I use this one. If you don’t have a microplane, use a zester or grater. Then, chop the lemon zest super finely with a knife.
Don’t have either? That is OK, leave it out and continue baking!
How to make classic apple crisp in 5 easy steps:
- Make the oat streusel topping FIRST, then the filling
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Place in a bowl and toss with lemon juice to prevent browning
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl
- Place filling in a baking dish. Dot with butter
- Top with oat streusel. Bake. Eat
Don’t feel like making apple crisp?
- Make chocolate cupcakes instead!
- Or almond flour chocolate chip cookies
- Or a classic banana bread loaf
Need a vegan apple crisp recipe? Here is a great one from Nora Cooks
Classic Apple Crisp Recipe | With Oat Streusel ToppingCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Juice and zest of 1 lemon – do this first!
5 granny smith apples, peeled / cored / sliced into 1/4 inch slices
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, cubed
- Oat Streusel Topping
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted, chilled, cubed butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Make Oat Streusel Topping
- Combine all in a standing kitchen mixer bowl. Mix on low speed with the paddle attachment.
- Mix until pea-size clumps form. About 2-3 minutes
- No kitchen mixer? Go ahead and use your hands or a pastry cutter. Set aside.
- Make filling
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease (with oil or soften butter) a square baking dish. (8 inch x 8 inch or 9 inch x 9 inch)
- Zest 1 lemon with a microplane and set the zest aside. Juice the lemon and place the juice in a large mixing bowl.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Place in the large mixing bowl with the lemon juice. Toss the apple slice with the lemon juice
- Add remaining ingredients to the apples: 2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/4 cup all purpose flour. Toss with spatula until evenly coated
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Spread 2 tbsp unsalted, cubed butter over the top of the apples.
- Top with oat streusel.
- Bake for 50 minutes, until nice and bubbly.
- Use a square baking dish or 9 inch round deep pie pan. The filling will shrink when cooking.