Chantilly Cream Filling Recipe: This is very similar to homemade whipped cream. Except it is slightly thicker and slightly sweeter. It’s popular for cake and tart fillings, or simply with fruit. The best part? It is super easy to make with simply ingredients.
WHAT IS CHANTILLY CREAM?
Simply, it is fancy word for cream that has been whipped. The cream can be heavy cream, double cream, or any high fat cream. The cream can also have other diary ingredient additions, like yogurt or cream cheese.
Most fancy whipped cream recipes will be called chantilly cream. However, most chantilly cream recipes will be slightly sweeter and thicker than regular whipped cream.
It is a component: that means it is made in conjunction with another recipe. It’s perfect for cake and tart fillings. Or to top fresh berries and angel food cake.
The name origins from a castle in northern France called Castle of Chantilly.
QUESTIONS WHEN MAKING CHANTILLY CREAM
It makes it thicker and bit tangy in taste. Make sure you use full-fat Greek yogurt, which is the thickest yogurt on the market. I buy unsweetened flavor so I can adjust the sweetness myself. Buy whatever flavor you wish.
You may see other chantilly cream recipes that call for cream cheese or mascarpone cheese. That’s OK! This is my version.
The lemon zest is optional. I find it gives a nice light flavor to it. Feel free to leave it out.
Can I substitute this for whipped cream recipes?
Yes! If you need whipped cream for berries, cake, or whatever you wish, you can make this.
If you plan on piping whipped cream, do NOT make this recipe because it is too thick. The whipped cream will not hold its shape.
Should I make this ahead of time?
YES! This chantilly cream recipe needs to thicken with the gelatin. It is best if you make this the day before.
Honestly, it is good for up to 3 days.
Besides cake filling, what else can you use it for?
So many options! Think of this as your new and improved whipped cream. Dip strawberries in it, serve it with chiffon or angel food cake, put a dollop of it on top of apple pie, or fill a tart with it and top it with fruit.
This is great filling for my chiffon cake recipe.
I never used gelatin, how do you use it?
No problem! Gelatin is very easy to work with. You use it when you want some stability or thickening agent.
Use COLD water. Measure it out and place it in a small microwavable bowl. Measure out the powdered gelatin. Lightly sprinkle it over the water. It will absorb into it. It will become “one.” This is called blooming in baker’s terms.
Let it sit for 5 minutes. Now, you need to melt it. Microwave it for 5-10 seconds. Honestly! Let it sit on the kitchen counter for about 2-3 minutes to take the initial heat off. When the mixture is whipping, pour the melted gelatin into it.
There are two types of gelatin in the baking world: powdered or sheet. This recipe calls for powdered. I use Knox Brand, which makes gelatin packets.
STEPS IN MAKING CHANTILLY CREAM
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Whip on standing kitchen mixer with whisk attachment.
- Bloom and melt gelatin. Add to mixture.
- Store in a container in the fridge.
- Standing mixer with whisk attachment
- Small, microwavable bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Glass container to store the chantilly cream
- Micro plane, or zester, if you are using lemon zest
Chantilly Cream Filling RecipeCourse: Frosting and Icing RecipesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
5 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup full fat greek yogurt, unflavored
Zest if 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon powdered gelatin
2 teaspoon cold water
- Measure all the ingredients and put in a bowl of a standing kitchen mixer. If you like it sweeter, add more sugar.
- Using the whisk attachment, whip the mixture for about 3-5 minutes. You want it thick. Stop the mixer.
- In a small bowl, add 2 teaspoon cold water.
- Measure out 1/2 teaspoon powdered gelatin. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water. It will absorb. Let sit on the kitchen counter for about 5 minutes.
- Melt in microwave for 5-10 seconds. Let sit on kitchen counter for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the mixer back on medium speed and slowly pour in the melted gelatin. Mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Scoop the mixture into a storage container and store in fridge overnight. It will thicken.
- Ready to use and serve!