Berry Streusel Tart: This is your new go-to dessert when you need something quick and delicious. It is an easy recipe for beginner bakers looking to make something impressive!
The best part of this dessert: it is made of two main parts. One is the streusel recipe that is used for the crust and topping. One is the filling, made with jam and frozen berries.
What kind of jam do I need?
You need about 7 ounces. A little over or a little under is OK! You just need enough to cover the bottom of the tart. The flavor is up to you. I picked Washington’s Bow Hill’s Blueberry Confiture.
Another option is Simple Truth Strawberry Jam. It is made with organic strawberries and cane sugar.
What kind of berries do I need?
Same with the jam, pick whatever you desire or have on hand. I used Washington’s Remlinger Farm’s Marion Blackberries. Use frozen berries first. Only use fresh if you need to. You need about 1 cup, a little more or less is OK.
Another option is Simple Truth Organic Blueberries. You can really use whatever frozen berries you have on hand or whatever is available to you.
How much streusel do I need?
You will have leftovers, about 2ish cups. You can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container. Use it to banana bread, galettes, or muffins.
OR: put it on a cookie tray, lined with parchment paper or foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Save it. Eat it with frozen bananas, yogurt, ice cream, or by itself…honestly it is THAT good!
How much streusel do I use for the crust and how much do I use for the topping?
After you make the streusel, save about 1 cup for the topping. For the bottom, use about 1 1/2-2 cups. You want the crust to be about 1/4 inch thick.
First, grease a 9 inch round tart shell with non-aerosol cooking spray. Don’t have spray? Use a paper towel and dab it with veg oil. Don’t have veg oil? Use melted butter with a pastry brush. Just get it greased!
Where do you buy a tart shell?
I purchased mine a loooonnnggg time ago in a small cooking store. Mine is 9 inch round with a removable bottom. Here is a similar one on Amazon. I recommend buying a tart shell and not using a pie pan. If you have a tart shell that is slightly smaller or bigger, that is fine
STEPS IN BAKING A BERRY STREUSEL TART
- Grease your tart shell first, set aside
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil and place greased tart shell on top
- Make oat streusel recipe and set 1 cup aside for the topping
- Press about 1 1/2 – 2 cups oat streusel into the bottom and side of the tart shell
- Make the filling. Combine all in a bowl: 7-8oz jam, 1 cup frozen berries, 3 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and a pinch of salt. Stir until combined
- Spread the filling on top of the crust.
- Add the 1 cup oat streusel on top
- Bake for 60 minutes. The jam and berries will look bubbly.
The filling: put everything in a bowl and mix!
Can I make this ahead?
Yes! You can make this the day before you plan on serving it. It is delicious with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Keep it in the fridge, covered. Cut it into 8 pieces.
Berry Streusel Tart | Jam + StreuselCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
- Oat Streusel Recipe x1
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoon white sugar
2 sticks (16 tablespoon) unsalted, chilled, cubed butter
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
7-8 oz jam, your choice
1 cup frozen berries, your choices
3 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Pinch of salt
- For tart shell
Oil spray, or melted butter or veg oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Greased one 9 inch tart shell with oil spray
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place tart shell on top. Set aside
- Place all oat streusel ingredients in a Kitchen Aid mixer with a paddle attachment
- Mix on low speed until lumps appear
- Stop. Save 1 cup of oat streusel and set aside
- With 1 1/2 -2 cup streusel, press onto the bottom and side of the tart shell. You will have extra. Freeze it or bake it off.
- Make filling: Add 7-8 oz of jam, 1 cup frozen berries, 3 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a bowl. Mix with spatula until combined.
- Spread the filling over the crust.
- Add the 1 cup of remaining oat streusel on top
- Bake for 60 minutes. The jam will be bubbly.
- Enjoy warm or cold!
- Use whatever jam or berries you have on hand